Ensuring Children Don’t Go Hungry on Weekends
The Weekend Power Pack program sends backpacks of food, known as Power Packs, home with students on Fridays to meet the nutritional needs of Fauquier County children who have been identified as at risk of hunger on weekends. Each bag contains enough food to feed a family of four for the weekend, providing hunger relief beyond just the individual child. We also ensure that children are sent home with enough food to cover each day missed from school during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring break, and all 3-day weekends. We provide an abundance of Snow Day Kits to our schools. These kits contained food that can be sent home in anticipation of weather related cancellations. During the 2018-2019 school year, Weekend Power Pack sent home 350 power packs per week to 16 of Fauquier County’s 20 public schools and Headstart. We also began a snack program providing Fauquier County schools with snacks to have on-hand for children who are also hungry during school hours. We plan to continue this program during the 2019-2020 school year.
We are happy to announce the following partnerships for our summer feeding program:
- Fauquier Community Childcare (FCCC), providing Weekend Power Packs to those in need for this 8 week camp
- Books on the Bus (BOB), providing snacks to all participants and summer kits to those in need
- Marshall Community Center’s Literacy Camp, providing snacks, lunches, and Weekend Power Packs to all attendees for this 2 week camp
- Windy Hill Foundation Summer on the Hill (SOTH) Program, providing snacks, lunches, and Weekend Power Packs to all attendees for this 8 week camp
- FRESH – Fauquier Reaches for Excellence in School Health, Chef Natalie Ortiz will be providing cooking demonstrations and will assist campers in cooking a FISH DASH meal to eat for lunch at both Marshall Community Center’s Literacy Camp and Windy Hill Foundation’s SOTH Program.
- Fauquier FISH Food Pantry, will be providing families who visit the pantry with kid-friendly snacks
What’s Inside a Power Pack?
Power Packs contain family-sized portions of breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with a few snacks. Examples of what you might find in a Power Pack include cereal, peanut butter, spaghetti noodles and sauce, granola bars, two pieces of fresh fruit, and other healthy options. We attempt to vary the foods each week.
You can help children in Fauquier County receive the proper nutrition they need. If you or your company are interested in sponsoring a weekly power pack, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can help us by making a donation to the Power Pack program. Each power pack costs approximately $6 to send home on a weekly basis.
Please contact your school’s guidance office for information on how to receive a weekend power pack.
Child Hunger Facts
According to the USDA, 15.9 million children in the US live in households where they are unable to consistently access enough nutritious food necessary for a healthy life. Read more from feedingamerica.org & nokidhungry.org